Saturday, January 26, 2008
The Elsa Williams Crewel Mirror Kit!
Yet another addition to my stash!
I will have to live to be very old to make a serious dent in that pile, but I couldn't resist this one!
I love these old kits! I can remember seeing them in magazines years ago.
I don't know when I will get to this one though. There are quite a few projects ahead of it!
Thursday, January 24, 2008
This part is very slow-going because of all the outlining.
I did enjoy doing the French knots in the center of the flower. I used to hate them because I had so much trouble with them, but now they seem very easy to do.
Monday, January 21, 2008
Wednesday, January 16, 2008
I have made good, steady progress on it though. I have finished the first urn and floral scene. That urn took forever. It was all done in a satin stitch and outlined in the outline stitch.
Now, I am working on the trunk of the tree. The stitch used is a long outline stitch, to produce the textured look of bark. Then, the trunk will be outlined. This is pretty slow-going.
Tuesday, January 15, 2008
Normally I make at least one Christmas ornament every year, if not more than one. This year was so busy I only had time to make one.
I chose The 2000 Snowman Ornament "Rejoice" from Homespun Elegance.
I used 32 count Wichelt Twilight Blue for the linen. I didn't sew on the little snowflake charm because somehow it looked out of place. I'm not really big on charms anyway.
I was not really pleased with the finishing however. I finished it with the jute trim, according to the instructions, but I just don't care for the way it looks. One of these days when I have time, I will redo it.
Monday, January 14, 2008
It is also very physical. I found that it hurt my wrist quite a bit in the beginning. I had to keep stopping. Also, it seem the only way I can do a good job on the braiding is to do it standing up, so it does get tiring.
Unfortunately I didn't take any pictures of the very beginnings of the rug, but here are a few that I took in October. The colors are a bit washed out in them. It is a little bit brighter than these pictures would have you believe. Furrytail (my Maine Coon), and Ollie (Orange tabby) take turns supervising the work! It is really getting too big to work on the 2 tables I have put together.
The colors are totally different from the picture in my head. I am sort of making it up as I go along. I will have to start planning a bit more closely as I get nearer to the end though. It is becoming difficult just getting enough wool for one round. Quite the challenge!
I don't know what I was thinking when I thought I might finish it by the holidays! HA HA! Maybe the holidays NEXT year!!!
I also hope to hone my photography skills by hopefully submitting photos with every posting.
I usually have atleast one, if not more projects going on at the same time. It has turned out, by no desire of my own, that fixing up my old house has become a life-long work-in-progress. This takes up a lot of time, but I do manage occasionally to fit in some more "fun" projects!