Last night I finally finished the background!
This step took longer than anything else. The long outline stitch can be very tedious. If I had it to do over again, I think I would have worked the background a little at a time. I thought of doing this but I was afraid the discontinuity would show up in the stitches. Now I don't think this would have been a problem. There is enough variation in the stitches done in one sitting anyway.
Of course, by the time you get to the end, you have mastered the sitch. I found that in many cases it was easier to turn the work sideways and work on it that way rather than working it vertically.
Next I have to do the signature line and the verse.
I have used some straight pins to measure out the eight, quarter and halfway points along the line to try to get an idea of the spacing.
It will have to be done in a straight stitch. There is no room for a cross stitch.
There are no guidelines given for this at all. I will have to play around with it a bit. It will be a tight fit to get everything on the lines.
I need to do a little more research on the Colonial alphabets.
I was thinking of doing the verse and the signature line in a medium pink. I think pink would have appealed to an eleven year old girl.