My first 2008 finish!
I am not entirely happy with the lettering on the verse but there are only so many times you can pull it out without damaging the linen.
I did the entire verse in backstitch. Toward the end, I started having second thoughts about the backstitch. I thought that maybe I should have tried it in a cross stitch, but I think I made the right decision. The little spacers were done in a cross stitch.
There are issues with stamped linen. I stitched in the original verse, however this was not the intent of the kit maker. It was meant to be left blank, or to have you stitch in your own name. The design is stamped on the linen, generally with the grain, however the count is very dense. I noticed that the two stamped lines for the verse were not exactly straight. This made it difficult to square up the letters.
Also, I am not entirely certain of the numeral on Mary's birthday. My best guess is that it is January 9, but it is hard to be completely certain.
All that is left to do now is to gently wash it, mount it, and frame it.
I will have to go to the framers for the frame because of the unusual size. It is about 17" x 25".I have been collecting frames for years, and yet somehow I never find the right one in my attic!
Here is the finished sampler. Not the greatest picture. I will take another one when it is framed.